Monday, April 6, 2009

MOROCCON-SPICED CHICKPEAS WITH ONIONS AND TOMATOES

This dish is quite the blog evolution. I came across this spice mix on a fellow foodie’s blog called Cook Sister. Apparently she too borrowed the spice mix recipe from another food blog titled Kalyn’s Kitchen. Now I have adopted it as well. I think this is a keeper too. I followed the spice mix almost exactly but made my own rendition of their recipes and it was a success. I can’t wait to try it with other ingredients as well. The wheels are already turning and I am sure you will see it, evolved yet again, right here.

SERVES 6
1 lb bag chickpeas, soaked over night, rinsed and boiled 1 hour or until tender
1 recipe Moroccan spice mix (see recipe below)
2 large onions, thinly sliced
1 14 oz can whole tomatoes
Cayenne pepper, to taste
Salt/pepper to taste
1/4 c olive oil

MOROCCAN SPICE MIX
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp sweet paprika
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 pinch ground cloves

In a large skillet sauté the onions with the olive oil over med-high heat until soft and golden, about 12 minutes. In the meantime combine the spices. Add the spice mix to the onions and cook for another minute. Incorporate the tomatoes, crushing them by hand as you add them to the skillet and the remaining ingredients. Mix to combine and cook for an additional 10 minutes to allow the flavors to come together. Serve immediately or store for later. It keeps very well and gets better with time.

NOTES;
· I prefer making my own chickpeas but you may substitute an equal amount of jarred or canned chickpeas for a quicker meal.
· If you want more of a gravy add another can of tomatoes and/or some chicken or vegetable stock and reduce until the desired consistency.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting variation for a way to use the spice mix, and it sounds great to me! I think I'll try your recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I am a big fan of Moroccan food! They are so flavorful & rich.

    This is the first tiem i came to your blog! beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete